WHAT IS MERCURY RETROGRADE?
Feeling a little hot-headed? Having any technological mishaps? Communication has seemed to have flown out the window? Read onwards about the planet Mercury stepping into Retrograde; how it affects us, and the best Crystals + accompanying Rituals to use during this phase!
When you hear someone say that a planet has gone “retrograde”, they are referring to the point where that particular planet appears to be moving backwards, in the opposite direction to Mother Earth. It’s simply an illusion – much like when you drive past a train and it feels like it’s moving backwards!
“Retrograde motion is only an illusion: Mercury is not actually moving backwards. It only appears to be doing so, because of its position in the solar system relative to our planet and its movement around the Sun. Planets typically move through the sky from west to east, which astronomers call prograde motion. Sometimes though, especially when it comes to Mercury, these planets would move the opposite direction— from east to west—typically for a few weeks.” 
WHAT IS ALL THE BUZZ SURROUNDING MERCURY RETROGRADE?
Mercury Retrograde dates all the way back to the mid-18th century and has been featured in magazines such as The Astrologer’s Magazine and The Science of the Stars. Fascinating people for centuries… Astrology has been spoken about regularly in Ancient Philosophy texts. In Roman mythology, the planet Mercury was assigned as the planet that rules communication and is named after Roman god, Mercury (God of shopkeepers, merchants, travellers, transporters of goods, thieves and tricksters).
Mercury rules Communication and Travel: When Mercury transitions into Retrograde, chaos follows. Directly affecting communication and all things travel, it happens 3-4 times a year, with the most recent phase from July 7th, through to July 31st. Hold on to your sanity and remain calm as we go through this rocky phase!
5 WAYS MERCURY RETROGRADE MIGHT AFFECT YOU:
- EMOTIONS- feelings are felt often and felt deeply. Running at an all time high, our emotions are having us experience strong outbursts at this time. Without patience and understanding, this will lead to heated arguments and confrontations.
- TECHNOLOGY MALFUNCTIONS – with our technology frequently used as a means of communication, you will find that your apps will shut down randomly or your phone freezes up at times.
- TRAVEL- Luggage may go missing, car problems arise or flights may be delayed.
- PAST RELATIONSHIPS OR MEMORIES- Ghosts of your past may rise up to say hello. How you respond is totally up to you… make sure to consider whether it’s worth reconnecting or not. If the situation is less favoured, move forward without looking back! Avoid anything that is coming up in your life right now that you do not need.
- SPEAK- While speaking, that stream that usually flows with ease between your head and your throat may not be flowing as it normally would. Expect sentences to come out in jumbles and an inability to find the right words.
CRYSTAL TO USE DURING MERCURY RETROGRADE AND ACCOMPANYING RITUALS:
+ CLEANSE: Create a calming space, free from any distractions. Grab a journal and dot down all of the things that are on your mind. Keep writing until it has all left your thoughts free of clutter, it doesn’t need to be neat, nor does it need to make sense. No one is reading this, it is just for you. Recommended Crystals: Himalayan Quartz, Selenite, Snowflake Obsidian.
+ COMMUNICATION: Grab a ‘communication’ crystal (usually blue/turquoise) and hold it in your palm, visualising a beautiful, blue light caressing your throat. Take in 3, deep breaths, ensuring they fill up your stomach first and then your lungs. Once full, breathe out the air in a slow, releasing sigh. Recommended Crystals: Aquamarine, Blue Lace Agate, Fluorite.
+ GROUNDING: Pour yourself a warm cup of tea. Holding your ‘grounding’ crystal (usually dark in colour), lock in your knees and feel the strength within them, grounding you to the Earth. Grab a seat and spend the next 5-10 minutes, drinking your tea slowly while trying to remain present within your body. If you find that your thoughts start to creep in, gently move your focus to the ‘right now’ moment. Recommended Crystals: Harlequin Quartz, Hematite, Black Tourmaline.
WHAT TO REMEMBER DURING A MERCURY RETROGRADE:
+ Slow down, take your time, and pay attention to the finer details.
+ Re-visit, review, release, and renew!
+ We have the power to refrain from allowing old habits to take control of our lives. Stay Strong.
By Jessie Lopes- Dedicated Stoner xx